Dear Arizona artists,
We invite you to review the following calls for artists.
Thank you for your engagement and contribution.
Artlink Inc. was founded by artists in 1989 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and keeps the arts integral to the development of our city. We work to connect artists of all disciplines, arts venues, arts supporting businesses and advocates in an effort to strengthen and promote the community's unique culture.
We support a variety of community-based art events and initiatives, including the First Friday and Third Friday Art Walks, The Artist Forward Fund, Phoenix Urban Guide, and the annual Art Detour and Art d’Core Gala.
Artlink is supported by City of Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture, Downtown Phoenix Inc., Arizona Commission on the Arts, and several corporate and community partners. Visit artlinkphx.org to sign up for the Artlink newsletter or connect socially on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Phoenix Art Museum is accepting applications from emerging Arizona artists for its annual Friends of Contemporary Art Artists' Grants competition.
The selection committee will award up to five grants of $2,000 each. The grants are intended to provide recognition and financial support for emerging professional artists focused on establishing their careers. A panel of local and national judges will select the recipients.
Emerging Artists working in all mediums, including painting, sculpture, drawing, installation, new media, performance, photography, film or video may apply.
- Artists must be Arizona residents.
- Artwork must have been produced within the last two years.
- Artists may not be enrolled in a college degree program.
- Previous recipients of the Artists' Grants are ineligible.
- Artists must be pre-registered as an Artlink Articipant.*
Applications must be submitted through Submittable and include:
- Artist name, street address, email address, and telephone number
- Artist statement (optional; 150 words or less)
- Three (3) JPEGS or three (3) videos of different examples of your work. Videos exceeding three minutes will not be accepted.
- Descriptions of each submitted artwork, including: title, date, medium, dimensions
Submissions deadline: All materials must be submitted by midnight Wednesday, July 31, 2019
Questions? Please email: email@example.com
Announcement of Award Recipients: Monday, September 30, 2019
*While Articipation with Artlink does not require payment, there are additional benefits to paid levels. Visit artlinkphx.org for details. Questions about Artlink? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following call for artists of all practices is presented by Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix with support provided by Artlink Inc. The deadline to submit is Monday, July 29, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. (local Arizona time).
BACKGROUND AND OVERVIEW
When Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix first opened its doors in 2012, local art was central to the design of the property and has debuted the next evolution of its “Art in Motion” theme with ARTLAB, powered by Artlink.
Located on the second-floor of the hotel’s Living Room, the pop-up art studio will be transformed into a different exhibit every six weeks as a new artist in residence uses the space to bring their artwork to life.
Project: ARTLAB Residency
Address: 2 E. Jefferson St., Phoenix, AZ, 85004.
Request: A working artist studio residency in the Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, located in CityScape in the heart of downtown Phoenix. This call is for the selection of up to three artist residencies that will take place throughout 2019.
Overview: The ARTLAB is an opportunity to work in a public art studio prominently positioned in the Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix. Featuring large saloon-style doors fabricated by local artist Doug Boyd of Artfully Rogue, ARTLAB is a working studio space designed with the needs of an artist in mind, including lighting, storage, exhibition space, and a customized moveable platform that serves as a splatter-ready studio floor.
Local artists of a variety of mediums are invited to take residence and create as they would in their own studio, with the additional twist of meeting art-loving locals and hotel patrons.
The ARTLAB residency is a unique opportunity for an artist interested in engaging the public while working. Art practices where the process can be made visible, which spark public interest and inquiry, and which the artist feels are particularly well suited for a high traffic environment are desirable. ARTLAB is a public studio space which seeks to demonstrate how making art is an essential element in fostering public support for the greater arts community of Phoenix by acting as invitation to start a conversation, to see the creative process in action, and to build relationships beyond traditional exhibition spaces. Artists looking to find greater exposure for their work with art lovers and patrons from across the valley, as well as visitors to the Palomar hotel from abroad, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Artist(s) will provide licensing and reproduction rights, and permit photography of artworks, including use in promotional materials. All reasonable effort will be made to credit the artist in promotions as well as when communicating with media.
All Arizona artists are encouraged to apply. The works will not contain images or messages that include nudity, political, religious, advertising or otherwise controversial themes.
Interested artists are encouraged to learn more about ARTLAB by visiting: https://www.hotelpalomar-phoenix.com/downtown-phoenix-hotels/phoenix-local-art/.
Eligibility: This opportunity is open to artists living and working in the state of Arizona with the ability to produce exemplary art.
Artists must be registered as an Artlink Articipant. Find the registration form on artlinkphx.org.
Criteria: A selection of finalists will be based upon the quality, originality, and craftsmanship of their past works and potential to make a significant artistic contribution to this project. Artist selection will be based upon:
- The strength and feasibility of the proposed works.
- The potential to engage hotel patrons and visitors in a meaningful way.
- Ability to work in the space five to six days a week, preferably Monday – Saturday for a minimum of 3 hours per day. Ideal time is from 3 or 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., correlating to the hotel's popular Wine Hour for hotel patrons and when you will receive the most visibility.
Artist is provided:
- ARTLAB Studio space, including saloon doors that keep the rolling platform and all art materials safe and secure.
- A wall gallery to display the artist's current artwork and a separate gallery wall to display works completed during residency.
- Storage cabinet equipped with secure lock to store art supplies.
- 50% off all food and beverage at Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails.
- Ability to sell art. Artlink receives 20% of sales. No commission needed for Hotel Palomar.
- Parking key to CityScape parking garage, with 24 hour access.
- A public residency opening event promoted by Hotel Palomar and Artlink.
- A closing evening event promoted by Hotel Palomar and Artlink.
August 8 through September 26
October 3 through November 14
November 21 through January 9
*Dates are subject to change
Submission Requirements: Please make sure you follow ALL guidelines and complete the entire submission form, including the following:
- A current resume.
- A letter of interest.
- Portfolio of 10 digital images encouraged, including images that depict: (1) representative work including title/date/size/description/price, (2) working studio space, (3) artist working in studio. Art images should reflect the type of work to be produced in the ARTLAB.
- Description of working conditions at their home studio.
- Email and phone contacts for three professional references.
Submission Deadline: Monday, July 29, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. (local Arizona time)
Selection Announcement: August 1, 2019
First Residency Opening: August 8, 2019
*Selection of October and November residencies subject to change
Every submission is appreciated and will be seriously considered.
Artists will be notified by email.
NOTE: Submissions are received through this Submittable platform. Please create an account or sign in below.