Dear Arizona artists,
We invite you to review the following calls for artists.
Thank you for your engagement and contribution.
Artlink Inc. was founded by artists in 1989 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and keeps the arts integral to the development of our city. We work to connect artists of all disciplines, arts venues, arts supporting businesses and advocates in an effort to strengthen and promote the community's unique culture.
We support a variety of community-based art events and initiatives, including the First Friday and Third Friday Art Walks, The Artist Forward Fund, Phoenix Urban Guide, IN FLUX, and the annual Art Detour and Art d’Core Gala.
Artlink is supported by City of Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture, Downtown Phoenix Inc., Arizona Commission on the Arts, and several corporate and community partners. Visit artlinkphx.org to sign up for the Artlink newsletter or connect socially on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The following call for artists of all practices is presented by Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix with support provided by Artlink Inc. The deadline to submit is Wednesday, March 4, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. (local Arizona time). [date has been extended]
BACKGROUND AND OVERVIEW
When Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix first opened its doors in 2012, local art was central to the design of the property which has recently debuted the next evolution of its “Art in Motion” theme with ARTLAB, powered by Artlink.
Located adjacent to the second floor of the hotel’s "Living Room" lobby space, the pop-up art studio will be transformed into a different exhibit every few weeks as a new artist in residence uses the space to bring their artwork to life.
Project: ARTLAB Residency
Address: 2 E. Jefferson St., Phoenix, AZ, 85004.
Request: This open call is meant to select up to four artists for different residency periods that will take place through winter 2020 at the Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix. This high-traffic space is a working studio with great visibility and is located in CityScape in the heart of downtown Phoenix.
Overview: ARTLAB represents a unique opportunity to work in a public art studio prominently positioned in the Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix. Featuring large saloon-style doors fabricated by local artist Doug Boyd of Artfully Rogue, ARTLAB is a working studio space designed with the needs of an artist in mind, including lighting, storage, exhibition space, and a customized moveable platform that serves as a splatter-ready studio floor.
Local artists working in any medium are invited to use this residency space to create inspired works of art in the same way that they would in their own studio, with the additional twist of meeting art-loving locals and hotel patrons throughout the residency period.
The ARTLAB residency is a unique opportunity for any artist who is interested in engaging the public while working in an open concept studio environment. Art practices where the process can be made visible, which spark public interest and inquiry, and which the artist feels are particularly well suited for a high traffic environment are desirable. ARTLAB is a public studio space which seeks to demonstrate how making art is an essential element in fostering public support for the greater arts community of Phoenix by acting as an invitation to start a conversation, to see the creative process in action, and to build relationships beyond traditional exhibition spaces.
Artists who are able to maintain a regular schedule and looking to find greater exposure for their work with art lovers and patrons from across the valley, as well as visitors to the Palomar hotel from abroad, are encouraged to apply. A regular studio schedule allows for stronger promotion of the artist in residence as well as a higher potential for audience engagement and sales.
The hotel’s popular Wine Hour provides a great opportunity for the artist in residence to showcase their work to hotel guests. Artists are strongly encouraged to be in the ARTLAB studio during this time, Monday – Saturday, from 3 or 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., because this is when the artist's work will receive the most visibility, interest, and have the greater potential for making sales.
Artist(s) will provide licensing and reproduction rights, and permit photography of artworks, including use in promotional materials. All reasonable effort will be made to credit the artist in promotions as well as when communicating with media.
All Arizona artists are encouraged to apply. The works will not contain images or messages that include nudity, political, religious, advertising or otherwise controversial themes.
Interested artists are encouraged to learn more about ARTLAB by visiting the Hotel Palomar website.
Eligibility: This opportunity is open to artists living and working in the state of Arizona with the ability to produce exemplary art. Artists must be registered as an Artlink Articipant. Find the registration form on artlinkphx.org.
Criteria: A selection of finalists will be based upon the quality, originality, and craftsmanship of their past works as well as their potential to make a significant artistic contribution to this project. Artist selection will be based upon:
- The strength and feasibility of the proposed works.
- The ability to socially engage hotel patrons and visitors in a meaningful way.
- Ability to work in the space five to six days a week, preferably Monday – Saturday for a minimum of 3 hours per day. Artists are strongly encouraged to be in the ARTLAB studio from 3 or 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., as it correlates with the hotel's popular Wine Hour for hotel patrons.
- Confirmation of the above will be made via a finalist interview to be scheduled in early April 2020.
Artist is provided:
- ARTLAB Studio space, including saloon doors that keep the rolling platform and all art materials safe and secure.
- A wall gallery to display the artist's current artwork and a separate gallery wall to display works completed during residency.
- Storage cabinet equipped with a secure lock where the artist can store art supplies.
- 50% off all food and beverage at Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails.
- Ability to sell art to patrons. Artist agrees to contribute 20% of sales to Artlink. No commission needed for Hotel Palomar.
- Parking key to CityScape parking garage, with 24 hour access.
- A "CoLABoration" closing event with Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails, promoted by Hotel Palomar and Artlink.
2020 Residency Schedule (Summer/Fall/Winter):*
May 7 – June 25
July 1 - August 27
September 3 – October 20
November 5 – January 7 (2021)
*Dates are subject to change
Submission Requirements: Please make sure you follow ALL guidelines and complete the entire submission form, including the following:
- A current resume.
- A letter of interest.
- Identification of availability for any or all of the residency terms from May 2020 through January 2021.
- Portfolio of 10 digital images is greatly encouraged, including: (1) images of recent work that is generally representative of your art practice with the image files labeled by title, date, size, description, price, (2) images of your current studio space, (3) images of you working in your studio. Art images should reflect the type of work to be produced in the ARTLAB.
- A short description of working conditions at their home studio.
- Email and phone contacts for three professional references.
Submission Deadline: March 4, 2020, by 5:00 p.m. (local Arizona time) [date has been extended]
Finalists Announcement and Interviews: Between March 30 and April 3, 2020
Selection Announcement: By April 13, 2020
*Timeline for 2020 residencies subject to change
Every submission is appreciated and will be seriously considered.
Artists will be notified by email.
NOTE: Submissions are received through this Submittable platform. Please create an account or sign in below.