Dear Arizona artists,
Artlink works to connect artists of all disciplines, arts venues, arts supporting businesses and advocates in an effort to strengthen and promote the arts community and economy. You are the most important part of this process. Thank you for your continued engagement and contributions to Arizona's growing creative culture.
Phoenix Art Museum will be accepting submissions for the 2023 Lehmann Emerging Artist Awards from November 1 – December 17, 2023. Applications are only accepted online and are due December 17, 2023.
A panel of judges will select the recipients. The selection committee will award up to two grants of $10,000 each, and each recipient will be invited to present work in the Museum's 2024 Lehmann Emerging Artist Awards recipients’ exhibition, scheduled to open in October 2024. There is no fee to submit to the open call.
- Artists must be considered emerging artists to apply, meeting at least one of the following criteria:
- Artists with at least five years of professional experience who are currently making and exhibiting new work;
- Artists whose work has been shown in Arizona but not extensively outside of the state;
- Individuals returning to art after a hiatus.
- Artists must have been living in Arizona for at least one year at the time of application.
- Artists working in all media, including painting, sculpture, drawing, installation, new media, performance, photography, and video, may apply.
- Submitted artwork must have been produced within the past three years.
- Artists must be registered as an Artlink Articipant. Register as an Articipant* with Artlink here.
Applicants are ineligible if they are:
- Artists who have resided in Arizona for less than one year
- Enrolled in a college degree program at the time of application
- Individuals who engage in art-making as a hobby
- Previous winners of the Lehmann Emerging Artist Award or other emerging artist awards presented by PhxArt
- Current Phoenix Art Museum staff, board, or volunteers
Applications must be submitted through Submittable and include:
- Artist name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number
- Artist CV
- Artist statement (150 words or less)
- One short-form response (150 words or less)
- How will being a Lehmann Emerging Artist Award recipient help you achieve your artistic goals?
- Six (6) images OR three (3) videos providing different examples of your work from the past three years.
- Video work samples exceeding three minutes will not be accepted.
- A combination of materials will be accepted. Please edit accordingly for no more than a total of three minutes of reviewing time (2 images = 1 minute).
- Descriptions of each submitted artwork
- Please include the title, date completed, medium, and dimensions
Submissions Deadline: All materials must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. MST on December 17, 2023.
Questions? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Note: While being an Artlink Articipant does not require payment, there are additional benefits to paid levels. Visit artlinkphx.org for details. Questions about Artlink? Please email email@example.com.
The Sally and Richard Lehmann Emerging Artist Awards are made possible through the generosity of Sally and Richard Lehmann and underwritten by the Phoenix Art Museum Education and Engagement Excellence Fund, founded by the Cohn Fund for Arts & Culture, a component fund of the Arizona Community Foundation.