The following call for artists of all practices is presented by Flinn Foundation in partnership with Artlink Inc. The deadline to submit is Thursday, September 29, 2022 by 5:00 p.m. (local Arizona time).
Project: Flinn Foundation Art Exhibition | Cycle 2
Address: 1802 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, AZ, 85004
The Flinn Foundation is a privately endowed, philanthropic grant-making organization established in 1965 by Dr. Robert S. and Irene Flinn. Its mission is to improve the quality of life in Arizona to benefit future generations.
Long before the Flinn Foundation was established, Irene Flinn was known for her profound love for the arts, and the Foundation, originally a health-care philanthropy aligned with Dr. Flinn’s work as a cardiologist, expanded its focus in the mid-1980s to include an ongoing grant-making initiative in the arts. This program recognized both Irene's love for the arts and the importance of the arts to Arizona. Since that time, the program—today operating alongside programs in biosciences, civic leadership, and education—has continually evolved in response to the dynamic arts sector. Read more about the Foundation's commitment to arts and culture here.
The Foundation recently decided to complement its arts grantmaking focused on statewide cornerstone organizations through a new effort to tangibly demonstrate the importance of the arts at a local level, including within the Flinn Foundation’s office and conference center.
The unique building in the heart of Phoenix—adjacent to the Arizona Opera and across the street from the Phoenix Art Museum—will become a site where Arizona artists can exhibit their work, emphasizing to all who enter that the arts are vital to the quality of life in Arizona. While the facility is private, the Foundation regularly convenes leaders in workshops and educational forums at the conference center within the building.
Exhibition Series: In this second cycle in a series of exhibitions, art will be displayed in the lobby/reception area, conference rooms, and an exterior veranda space suitable for sculpture.
The art selected for the exhibition is available for purchase by guests of the Flinn Foundation and will be thoughtfully promoted via the Foundation as well as Artlink communications. Art sales will be facilitated without a commission.
This call is for the second exhibition of this program. The selected artists will be invited to a private opening reception at the end of October.
The Flinn Foundation operates in four philanthropic areas: Biosciences, Flinn Scholars, Arts and Culture, and Civic Leadership. These philanthropic activities intersect wherever possible, a recognition of the importance of ecosystem thinking.
The featured artists for this inaugural reception will include those whose work creatively addresses, exemplifies, and/or examines the themes of bioscience and civic engagement, either individually or in connection with one another.
Honoraria: Selected artists will receive a $200 honorarium for contributed artwork to the exhibition.
Criteria: This is a call for existing work. A limited number of works will be included in the exhibition, and more than one artwork from a submitting artist may be selected.
The following artworks will be considered for this exhibition:
- Artworks in a variety of 2D and 3D media: oil, watercolor, acrylic, graphite, charcoal, pastels, photography, ceramics (wall-hanging ceramics only), printmaking, textile, and mixed media.
- Artworks in a range of sizes will be selected for display on the walls of the Conference Center, which require works to be lighter in weight (under 50 lbs.) due and ready to hang using floreat hangers, due to sensitive wall finishes.
- A limited number of large-scale 2D works up to 8'x8' in size will be selected for the reception area.
- A limited number of floor and wall sculptures will also be considered for display in the lobby.
- A limited number of large-scale 2D works up to 8'x8' in size will be selected for the exterior veranda (the covered area, will be delivered through a 7' tall x 8' wide door).
Eligibility: This opportunity is open to artists who live and work in Arizona with the ability to produce exemplary art. Artists must be pre-registered as an Artlink Articipant. Find the registration form on artlinkphx.org (Articipant fees are optional).
By submitting artwork for consideration, the artist agrees to the following:
- Each artist can submit up to three (3) works for consideration.
- All submitted artworks are available for purchase (include sale price in submission details).
- All submitted artworks will be delivered by artist in excellent condition. The artist agrees that they will deliver their selected artwork to Artlink/Flinn representatives.
- Artwork should have been created since 2017.
- Artwork will be installed in public areas. Only artwork appropriate for all ages will be considered.
- Artwork will be on exhibition for approximately six months.
- Submission deadline: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 5:00 p.m. (local Arizona time)
- Artists notified: by Friday, October 14, 2022
- Delivery of artwork: Monday, October 24, 2022 (specific times TBD based on all parties' availability)
- Opening reception: Wednesday, October 26
- Pick-up of artwork: Mid-April 2023 (specific date TBA)
*Timeline subject to change
Every submission is appreciated and will be seriously considered. Artists will be notified by email.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
NOTE: Submissions are received through this Submittable platform. Please create an account or sign in below.