Dear Arizona artists,
We invite you to review the following calls for artists.
Thank you for your engagement and contribution.
Artlink Inc. was founded by artists in 1989 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and keeps the arts integral to the development of our city. We work to connect artists of all disciplines, arts venues, arts supporting businesses and advocates in an effort to strengthen and promote the community's unique culture.
We support a variety of community-based art events and initiatives, including the First Friday and Third Friday Art Walks, The Artist Forward Fund, Phoenix Urban Guide, IN FLUX, and the annual Art Detour and Art d’Core Gala.
Artlink is supported by City of Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture, Downtown Phoenix Inc., Arizona Commission on the Arts, and several corporate and community partners. Visit artlinkphx.org to sign up for the Artlink newsletter or connect socially on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The following call for visual artists of all practices is presented by Arizona Citizens for the Arts with support provided by Artlink Inc. The deadline to submit is 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, January 28, 2020 (AZ time).
Project: The 39th Annual Governor’s Arts Awards Call for Art
Budget: $400 Artist Honorarium to each artist contributing an award
Selection: Up to 15 artists with existing works that fit the parameters below
BACKGROUND AND OVERVIEW
Since 1981, the Governor’s Arts Awards have recognized more than 200 distinguished Arizona artists, arts organizations, businesses, educators and individuals for their passion, creativity and devotion to the excellence and diversity of Arizona’s arts and cultural community. The Governor’s Arts Awards event is much more than a tradition. The awards reflect more than three decades of the best in Arizona’s arts and culture community and the magnificent contributions they’ve made to our state’s arts and cultural heritage.
Nominations for the Governor’s Arts Awards are accepted for about six weeks in the fall of each year in the following categories: Artist, Arts Administrator/Organization, Business, Philanthropy, and The Shelley Award. Nominees are announced in early winter, followed by special receptions in honor of all nominees at which finalists in each category are announced, along with the Philanthropist Award honoree and the Shelley Award honoree. The Governor’s Arts Awards event is then held in early spring where category winners are presented with awards; in order to celebrate local artistry in Arizona, winners are awarded with a work of art as unique as their accomplishments. This is a Call for Art for the 2020 Awards.
The selected artworks will celebrate artistry, culture and unique characteristics of Arizona, its artists and artforms, as the artist sees them. Works can be either 2D or 3D, and while there are no specific size or medium restrictions, submissions must be easy to hold or carry and transport, as the artworks will be handed to the recipient during a stage presentation at the Governor’s Arts Awards Dinner and Gala. Artists must provide transportation packaging.
As a nonprofit organization, Arizona Citizens for the Arts produces this event solely on grant and underwriting funding from local corporations and individuals deeply invested in the arts and culture in Arizona. They offer a $400 Artist Honorarium for contributing artists and complimentary invitations to the event (tickets valued at $300/ea). Leading up to and at the event, the artists and artwork are showcased in a variety of print and digital media. Contributing artists are also asked to present the winners with their award on stage when their name is revealed.
This opportunity is open to all artists currently residing in Arizona. You must be registered as an Artlink Articipant (Articipant fees are optional). All registered artist Articipants are included in ArtistsAZ.com, Arizona’s newest statewide artist directory.
Artists must also be able to provide a high resolution, professional image of selected artwork suitable for use in Notecards, in the Evening On-Screen Presentation and Paper Program, and be amenable to the terms of this Rights & Reproductions Agreement.
- Call Issued: Thursday, January 9, 2020
- Submissions Due: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. (local AZ time)
- Selections Announced: Thursday, January 30, 2020
- Delivery of Artwork: Artwork is to be delivered to Arizona Citizens for the Arts Office In Phoenix by February 13th OR at one of the following locations: February 1st at Yuma Center for the Arts, February 19th at Hotel McCoy in Tucson, February 22nd at Prescott Center for the Arts, or February 27th at La Posada Hotel in Winslow.
- February 2020: Selected artists and a guest attend an invitation-only reception for Governor’s Arts Awards nominees, nominators, award contributors, major event sponsors and other major supporters of Arizona Citizens for the Arts that will take place at the various locations around the state. If delivered/picked up in time, awards will be on display at the Phoenix Nominee reception on February 13 and finalists of the GAA gala will be announced.
- March 26, 2020: GAA award winners will be announced during the Governor’s Arts Awards event at Mesa Arts Center on Thursday, March 26, 2020.
*Timeline subject to change
- A current resume
- Letter of interest
- The artist may submit up to (three) 3 artwork images in .jpg format with a minimum 72 dpi per image. No greater than 6 inches on the largest size. Selected artists will be asked to provide a high resolution image for publication. Please see the submission form for acceptable files.
- The artist agrees that they will deliver their selected artwork to designated locations, as noted above. Artwork will be ready to hang with all necessary hardware (if installing).
Not all artwork will be accepted. Every submission is appreciated and will be seriously considered by a jury of experienced arts professionals.
Artists will be notified by email. Please do not call for results.
OTHER NOTES AND CONSIDERATIONS
Arizona Citizens for the Arts (ACA) and its affiliates reserve the right to engage another process for this selection should there prove to be an inadequate number of entrants or appropriate options. As well, please ensure that the image of your submission accurately represent the artwork itself (true to color, condition, content, framing/finishing, and the like), as ACA also reserves the right to decline works upon delivery or "at first sight", in their sole discretion. Thank you for your understanding.
Questions? Email email@example.com
NOTE: Submissions are received through this Submittable platform. Please create an account or sign in below.